Last Updated: June 5, 2017
Is a job in landscaping right for you?
Consider the following questions to help decide if working in the landscape sector makes sense:
- Would you enjoy working outdoors in the heat of Summer, under a strong sun, as well as in the rain?
- As many landscape companies also offer snow and ice removal during Winter months, would you enjoy working outdoors in cold and very cold temperatures?
Physical stamina and abilities
- Do you have any problem stretching, bending down, or kneeling?
- Can you work on your feet for much of the day?
- Can you lift heavy weights?
- Can you do physical work for long periods of time, with only occasional breaks?
Working with equipment
- Are you comfortable :
- working with your hands and hand tools?
- using power tools that may cause noise and vibration?
- using mechanical equipment?
- having to be careful to avoid injury to yourself and others?
- Do you have a G driver’s licence or do you expect that you will be able to get one within a couple of years, in order to take on more responsibility?
- Do you mind working long hours, when necessary, in order to meet deadlines or make up for rain days?
- As landscape work in the GTA is seasonal, usually from April through November or early December, would you have other work, training, or things to do during the Winter months, if your landscaping employer did not also offer snow and ice removal services?
- Can you work well with little or no supervision, once you have been told what to do?
- Can you work well as part of a team?
- Are you comfortable working with deadlines and getting a certain amount of work done each day?
- Do you prefer doing the same tasks each day or do you prefer a variety of tasks from one day to another?
- Do you pay careful attention to detail?