Last Updated: June 9, 2017
Major impediments to refugee newcomers finding and maintaining good employment in the GTA include:
- Insufficient English speaking proficiency – the number one impediment for most Syrians;
- Lack of Canadian experience, resulting in lack of references and lack of familiarity with the Canadian work environment, standards, practices, and expectations;
- Low levels of formal education;
- Lack of credentials or recognized credentials;
- Lack of training and acquired skills;
- Licensing and other accreditation requirements;
- Physical and mental health issues;
- Older age upon arrival;
- For women especially, lack of childcare, as well as husband’s and cultural expectations.
Transportation is not often mentioned as a significant issue, with refugee newcomers generally willing to travel long distances by public transit.