Internationally-trained health care professionals who are newcomers to Canada may face difficulty qualifying to work in this country. However, there are numerous bridging, language, training, and employment programs to help them transition to working in the same, or related, fields as they settle in.

COVID-19 update

The Workforce Matching Portal has been established by the Government of Ontario to identify those with experience in providing health care and are available, on a volunteer basis, to help provincial efforts to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19, if required. The government is looking for health care providers who may be working part-time and want to and are prepared to increase their work hours or former healthcare providers who are retired, or on inactive status with their regulatory college. Those interested and able to help, are asked to create a user profile, which may then be used to match the health care provider to positions and opportunities to use his or her skills and provide services where they are most needed.

Supervised Short Duration Certificate: International medical graduates who’ve passed their exams to practise in Canada, or have graduated from school in the past two years, can now apply for a supervised 30-day medical licence in Ontario to help fight COVID-19. The short-term licence allows some foreign-trained physicians and domestic medical school graduates to practise under supervision at public hospitals, psychiatric facilities and Crown agencies. See link to a CBC media story at the end of this post.

Occupations to consider

International Medical Graduates (IMGs)

In order to qualify to work in Canada, IMGs (i.e. medical doctors) must:

  • have a medical degree recognized by the World Health Organization;
  • have obtained certification from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario; and
  • be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Even if a newcomer is able to satisfy English proficiency requirements, finding a residency position can be an enormous challenge, as described in this news report: Only half of international medical grads in Canada work as doctors: study (CTV; Jun 26/14). The website of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada outlines Assessment routes for international medical graduates.

For IMGs who would like to consider alternate career paths in Canada, the website suggests these options:

  • Health Educator;
  • Health Policy Analyst;
  • Medical Laboratory Technician;
  • Personal Support Worker; and
  • Public Health Inspector.


Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs)

The requirements for IENs are similar to those for IMGs. According to the Careers in Nursing website, nurses wishing to work in Ontario must:

  • have a recognized nursing degree;
  • become re-certified to work in Canada by passing the College of Nurses of Ontario registration exam and the RN Jurisprudence Exam; and
  • be Canadian citizens or have permanent resident status.

If an IEN wishes to pursue an alternate career path in Canada, the website suggests:

For information on becoming a physician assistant, see the website of

Internationally Trained Dentists (ITDs)

ITDs must have a dentistry degree and must be certified by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB). As outlined on the NDEB website, there are two ways to become certified: the completion of a full-time, two-year program, or the completion of the “NDEB Equivalency Process.”

Alternate careers for ITDs, as listed on the website include:

  • Dental Assistant;
  • Dental Laboratory Bench Worker;
  • Dental Receptionist; and
  • Technical Sales Specialist.

Mental health field (qualified IMGs and IENs)

If an IMG or IEN has “a significant educational component related to mental health (minimum 100 hours),” occupations within the mental health field may be options. Bridging programs, such as the “Bridge to Registration and Employment in Mental Health” can assist qualified newcomers to find placements in the fields of:

  • Clinical counseling;
  • Case management;
  • Individual & group therapy; and
  • Group facilitation.

Further opportunities

Additional employment options for internationally-trained health care professionals include:

  • Social services for geriatrics;
  • Health informatics (applying healthcare data to improve patient outcomes);
  • Dental hygiene;
  • Sleep technology;
  • Personal Support Worker;
  • Medical laboratory technology;
  • Medical radiation technology;
  • Nutritionist;
  • Pharmaceutical or medical supply sales; and
  • Clinical administration.

Types of employers

The health-care sector is diverse, with a wide range of potential employers, including:

  • Home care service providers;
  • Government;
  • Hospitals;
  • Long-term care facilities;
  • Doctors’ offices;
  • Dentists’ offices;
  • Medical laboratories;
  • Educational facilities;
  • Academic and research institutions and researchers (including grant-supported work);
  • Software developers;
  • Pharmaceutical companies; and
  • Private individuals.

Programs in health care offered for internationally-trained newcomers

There are many different programs available to help internationally-trained newcomers find meaningful employment. Some of these programs focus on language skills, including English comprehension, occupation-specific terminology, and communication skills. Other programs focus on seeking employment. For example, bridging programs help candidates build on their existing education in order to qualify for alternate career paths. General employment programs help newcomers enhance their job-seeking skills, such as how to research job opportunities and create a resume.

Enhanced Language Training (ELT) programs

Job-specific terminology and workplace communication are the focus of ELT programs. Those that focus on health-care employment may also include modules about:

  • Job search (researching job opportunities, resumes, interviews);
  • Workplace culture;
  • Health-care ethics;
  • Trends in the health-care sector; and
  • Unpaid work placements.

A flyer for the Health & Wellness ELT program provided by the Toronto District School Board indicates that the following internationally trained healthcare professionals are eligible to apply:

Behavioural Health Coach Holistic Nutritionist
Chiropractor Life Enhancement Assistant
Community Health Worker Life Enrichment Coordinator
Corporate Wellness Professional Massage Therapist
Fitness Instructor Mental Health Coach
Fitness, Recreation & Wellness Coach Nutrition & Wellness Advisor
Health & Wellness Coach Occupational Health Therapist
Health Transitions Coach Physical Therapist
Health and Productivity Analyst Public Health Educator
Health Improvement Manager Recreational Therapist
Health Management Consultant Vitamin & Health Food Consultant
Health Promoter Weight Loss Consultant
Health Service Manager Wellness & Exercise Instructor
Health, Safety & Wellness Coordinator Wellness Coordinator
Healthy Lifestyle Specialist

Occupation-Specific Language Training (OSLT) programs

OSLT programs are similar in many ways to ELT programs. However, while ELT programs tend to focus on job-specific terminology and include unpaid work placements, OSLT programs focus on workplace communication and culture and do not include work placements. Newcomers pursuing an OSLT program will learn about communicating and networking with other health-care professionals, collecting patient information, assisting others, and managing challenging situations.

Bridging programs

Bridging programs help newcomers bridge the gap between their existing education and experience and their new career path in Canada. These programs typically focus on helping newcomers make connections with potential employers. Career counselling, job coaches, mentorships, networking opportunities, and referrals are included in bridging programs; some job-specific language and communication tips may also be offered.

Employment guidance and search assistance programs

The focus of these types of programs is to help newcomers identify and pursue new job opportunities. These programs are typically wide-ranging and may include modules that address industry-specific skill sets, workplace communication, job search support, mentorship and networking support, and post-hire support.

Training programs

Some programs are specific to one career within the health-care sector. These programs are valuable to newcomers who are looking to transfer their existing education and skills to a newly defined career path. For example, a “Health Informatics Training Program” teaches the skills and terminology required in health informatics careers. It also provides networking opportunities and job-search support.

Programs available in the GTA

For more information about programs for internationally-trained newcomers, available in the GTA:

Organizations offering  health care work-related English, bridging, and employment programs for newcomers in the GTA include:

  • General health care employment
    • ACCES Employment;
    • Carefirst Vocational Training Centre
    • Catholic Crosscultural Services;
    • Centennial College;
    • COSTI;
    • George Brown College;
    • HMC Connections;
    • Job Skills;
    • Toronto District School Board;
    • Toronto Catholic District School Board;
    • Woodgreen Community Services;
  • Doctor
    • Ryerson University;
  •  Geriatrics
    • JVS Toronto;
  • Informatics
    • Skills for Change;
  • Laboratory services
    • The Michener Institute;
  • Mental health
    • Mennonite New Life Centre;
  • Nursing
    • CARE (Centre for Internally Educated Nurses);
    • Ontario Internationally Educated Nurses Course Consortium;
  • Personal support worker (PSW)
    • Woodgreen Community Services;
    • YWCA;
  • Pharmacy
    • University of Toronto;
  • Physiotherapy and physical therapy
    • University of Toronto;

Also offering health-related employment programs in the French language in the GTA is:

  • Collège Boréal.

Licensing and certification organizations

Many healthcare professions are regulated in Ontario. To work in those careers, one must be licensed, with a certificate of registration from a respective regulatory college (e.g., The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario or the College of Nurses of Ontario). A comprehensive list of regulated health-care professions is available on the Ministry of Health Ministry of Long-Term Care websites. Listed professions are:

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Medicine
Chiropody and Podiatry Midwifery
Chiropractic Naturopathy
Dental Hygiene Nursing
Dental Technology Occupational Therapy
Dentistry Opticianry
Denturism Optometry
Dietetics Pharmacy
Homeopathy Physiotherapy
Kinesiology Psychology
Massage Therapy Psychotherapy
Medical Laboratory Technology Respiratory Therapy
Medical Radiation Technology Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture

The HealthForceOntario website is an excellent resource for internationally-trained health-care professionals. For each of the regulated professions, it provides links to the appropriate licensing body and other related professional associations, as well as a job bank specific to the health-care sector. The website also provides information about HeathForceOntario’s Access Centre for Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs), which has the goal of helping IEHPs achieve employment through training and licensure.

Some occupations within the health-care sector are not regulated, but certification or graduation from an approved program may be required. These include: