Covid-19 update: This program was originally scheduled to start on May 25th, but has been postponed until at least August or September.
The Electrician Pre-Apprenticeship Program at Humber College is a tuition-free program funded by the Government of Ontario that is designed as a transition step to finding an apprenticeship. Participants will receive Level 1 Electrician – Construction and Maintenance as well as exposure to Domestic and Rural applications. Remedial math support is built into the program and will take place in conjunction with the training delivery to reinforce concepts.
The program is delivered over 10 weeks, followed by a work placement of 8 to 12 weeks.
19 – 35 years old
The program will include:
- Orientation & Safety Training (1 week).
- Basic Level Electrician Training – Construction & Maintenance, Workplace Communications & Remedial Math support (10 weeks full-time)
- Work Placements (8-12 weeks: dependent on the employer)
Over the next few years, economic growth is expected to boost employment in most construction sectors, and as the construction industry – both residential and commercial – continues to grow, qualified electricians will increasingly be in demand, giving you a wide range of opportunities to choose from. Additional factors enhancing the job prospects and the need for more electricians is the increasing concern for energy conservation that has led to the installation of more energy-saving options, as wells as the upgrading and retrofitting of aging buildings.
This Pre-Apprenticeship Electrician program will help to address the skill shortages in the industry in the GTA and particularly help youth prepare for the opportunities in the sector with the upcoming projects.
Participants will complement their formal training program with a 8-12 week paid work placement in the industry. This will be accomplished through a combination of student input and support from a dedicated Job Developer.
- Minimum Requirement: Grade 10 equivalency demonstrated via High School transcripts. To learn about accommodations or exceptions to this requirement, please contact the Project Manager (contact details listed below)
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and obtain an Ontario apprenticeship.
- Write an assessment test facilitated by Humber College.
- Attend an interview (by invite only, based on assessment results).
Register For The Program
Applications and Assessments will take place at the information session. Therefore, attending an info session is mandatory to enroll in this program.
Information Sessions for this Pre-Apprenticeship Program will be posted shortly. Visit the link below for updates on upcoming information sessions.