The Health Informatics Bridging Program at Skills for Change provides internationally trained newcomers with a background in healthcare or the IT sector, the knowledge, and experience they need for a rewarding career in the field of Health Informatics.
This is a full-time, eight-week program that allows participants the opportunity to develop real-world experience with practical hands-on labs led by leading instructors. Participants with an interest in the integration of information technologies in the healthcare delivery sector stand to greatly benefit from this program.
Why Health Informatics?
As an emerging and growing discipline, the need for health informatics professionals is related to the increased use of electronic medical records and other health information technologies, coupled with the demand for individuals to be trained to respond to the needs of the healthcare system. Health Informatics provides the bridge between healthcare and information technology by making use of healthcare data to improve patient care and outcomes.
Why Join Our Program?
The Health Informatics Bridging Program provides an opportunity for internationally trained healthcare and IT professionals to come together to learn and develop the skills they require for a rewarding career in the Health Informatics field. The program is delivered as a small group model allowing participants to stay connected to the healthcare and IT sectors while exploring different career opportunities in Health Informatics. The program is tailored to participant needs and is designed to develop their career path and provide a seamless transition between careers.
The Health Informatics Bridging Program is free of charge.
The program curriculum is based on the individual needs of the client and includes:
- Career planning and assessments
- Orientation to the Canadian business culture
- Professional business practices in health informatics
- Occupation-specific terminology
- Case scenarios based on the world of work in health informatics
- Networking with employers in the field, employer-led workshops
- Job search strategies
- Job retention support
- Full-time eight-week program
- Fundamentals of Health Informatics delivered by George Brown College
- Effective job search strategies: resume development, market research techniques, and interview skills, delivered by Skills for Change
- Guest speaking panels led by industry and academic professionals
- Connections with Health Informatics employers
- Referrals to the Mentoring Partnership
- Job placements
- Employment training in the health informatics field
- Acquire the information necessary to transfer your current skills set to a new environment
- Develop soft skills needed in the health informatics sector
- Job search supports and preparation
- Learn occupation-specific terminologies
- Network with employers in the field
- Introduction to Canadian business culture
- Orientation towards secondary education opportunities
- Relevant job placements
- One-on-one support from program specialists knowledgeable about health informatics industry
- Dedicated training lab
- One-on-one support with a career specialist
- Career search reference
- Hidden job market employment leads
- Internet access for job search and applications
- Access to a quiet space for individual work
- Job search materials: daily newspapers, access to telephone and fax machine
- English proficiency (CLB 7+)
- Work experience in healthcare or IT field outside of Canada (3+ years)
- Post-secondary degree in healthcare or IT field
- Immigration status: Permanent Resident or Conventional Refugee
Funded by the Government of Canada and delivered in partnership with George Brown College. The Health Informatics Bridging Program is free of charge.