HOPES (Helping Our Newcomers Prepare for Employment Success) is a program of the Mennonite New Life Centre.
Do you feel discouraged & confused about your employment prospects in Canada? Join us for this unique employment program & learn how to:
- Redefine your employment goals within a new cultural context and take your first steps forward!
- Integrate successfully into the Canadian workforce.
- Take advantage of ongoing counselling and support from employment agencies and programs.
Designed especially for newcomers, the program runs for 8 weeks and includes 3 phases:
- Manage Culture Shock and Know Yourself
- Learn to recognize signs of confusion, disorientation, & unease to better adjust to your new surroundings.
- Discover how you manage transitions & identify personal qualities to support adapting to changing circumstances.
- Decrease Stress & Increase Hope
- Develop emotional & behavioural strategies to address stressors & develop a positive outlook on challenges ahead.
- Clarify your Goals
- Redefine your employment goals based on your strengths & talents, & identify barriers & areas for further development. Understand your values & beliefs, & identify your ideal work environment.
- Design your Action Plan
- Learn planning strategies & identify resources to implement your plan for successful integration in the Ontario economy toward employment and financial security.
- Build Empowerment
- Bring ownership to your job search & feel empowered to get the job you want.
EMPLOYMENT AGENCY CONNECTIONS & COACHING
- Make Community Connections
- Get support to continue with your job plan. Be referred to organizations & programs in the community that can help you advance toward employment.
- Stay Focused
- Take advantage of continued career advice & emotional support to stay motivated & execute your action plan.
Who is eligible to participate?
This program will benefit newcomers who:
- are struggling to find employment appropriate to their education, skills, and experience;
- need individual support for resettlement stress;
- are looking for personal and organizational connections within the community;
- have job-ready English communication skills (CLB 5 +)
- are able to commit time to each component of the program to work towards their goals
Workshops are limited to 20 participants.
What is the cost?
- It’s FREE for eligible participants!
- TTC tokens & light refreshments will be provided for the Group Workshops.