Newcomer Entrepreneur Hub, organized by Skills for Change, focuses on the entrepreneurial spirit of newcomers and assists in breaking down the barriers to successfully obtaining employment and/or establishing a business.
Newcomers will participate in a 10-week program which includes training on:
- sector-specific language communication
- labour market information
- cross-cultural communication
- consumer markets
- how to start a business
- business taxes
- financial assistance available for startup businesses,
- developing a business plan
- market analysis and
- life skills training
that will enhance their confidence to communicate clearly, such as public speaking, business communication, time management, human resource management, communicating with staff and leadership components that will add to their business and decision-making skills.
Specialized workshops are also incorporated into the training and various speakers who are subject matter experts will be engaged. The entrepreneurship hub will be an incubator for clients/participants who want to start a business.
Additionally, the Newcomer Entrepreneur Hub will be an incubator for newcomers to start their businesses and provide participants with access to computers, meeting space, coaching and on-going supports from a counsellor and/or mentor to ensure that the appropriate referrals and connection are made to increase the success of employment or the start-up of a business.
The program provides a holistic approach for starting a business and space for newcomers to increase their networks to fully participate in the Canadian society and economy.
- 10-week full-time instructor-led training
- Workshops include:
- Business Ideation
- Your vision and story
- Creating a business plan
- Marketing/Branding your business
- Developing a financial model
- Managing legal and accounting
- Opportunity to pitch your business ideas to experts for valuable feedback
- Advice on business planning- legal, financial, marketing, operations, etc
- Guidance on how to obtain funding
- Access to Business Training Tools
- One-on-one business mentorship and coaching
- Access to Incubator for participant startup businesses
- Free TTC tokens
- PR, Convention refugees, etc.
- previously owned a business and/or is interested in learning how to start a business in Ontario
- English level CLB 4/5 or higher