This online course focuses on the language and socio-cultural communication requirements of writing workplace communication in the business and technology sectors at CLB 7 to 8. The course addresses the language and communication skills needed to develop a strategic approach to writing workplace communication, understand purpose and audience in written workplace communication, use logical structure in emails and write effective emails to make requests, exchange information, make complaints and follow up. In order to qualify for the OSLT Writing Professionally course, students first need to successfully complete an OSLT Business or OSLT Technology course.
To qualify for OSLT, students need:
- Proof of status in Canada (like a Permanent Resident card). Participants must be Permanent Residents or Convention Refugees. Canadian citizens are not eligible.
- A Canadian Language Benchmark score of 6 or higher (CLB 6 – 8).
- A résumé with work experience or training in the specified sector.
- Successfully completed an OSLT Business or OSLT Technology course.
Schedule: 40 hours – All online
Upon successful completion of this subject the student will be able to:
- use self-editing strategies to identify common personal errors and make changes.
- produce single- and multiple-paragraph professional writing for an appropriate audience and purpose at a CLB 8 range.
Essential Employability Skills
- Respond to written, spoken, or visual messages in a manner that ensures effective communication.
- Interact with others in groups or teams in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of goals.