Covid-19 update: This program was originally scheduled to start in Spring, 2020. However, the start was postponed until social distancing restrictions are relaxed.
YWCA Toronto has partnered with the Finishing Trades Institute (FTI), the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU), and the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) to bring you a unique, women-only training experience to become a commercial painter-decorator.
- Certified instructors
- Basic work tools
- Safety training and equipment
- Refresher math
- Women-only learning environment
- Level 1 Certification for Painter-Decorator
- Academic upgrading (math, English, and essential skills for the trade)
- Eight weeks work experience after training is completed
- Transportation funds (restrictions apply)
- Job readiness training
- Supportive, highly-skilled instructors
- Ongoing support from YWCA Toronto staff
- Women, 16 years old and up
- Minimum grade 10 math and English or equivalency
- Resident of and able to work in Ontario
- Willing and able to commit to a 22 weeks full-time intensive training program
- Possess or be eligible to obtain a valid driver’s license
- Physically able to work in a variety of construction work environments
- Possess appropriate hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity
Registration is required prior to attending the Assessment/ Application session
Testing and Application Sessions are held at the Finishing Trades Institute-FTI 130 Toro Road, Unit C, Toronto, ON M3J 3M9
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020: AM (10-12) PM (1-3)
- Wednesday, March 25, 2020: AM (10-12) PM (1-3)
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020: AM (10-12) PM (1-3)
- Wednesday, April 22, 2020: AM (10-12) PM (1-3)
Applicants to the Painter-Decorator Pre-Apprenticeship Training program will have to complete a basic numeracy/math and English comprehensive test* followed by a short interview with a YWCA Toronto Job Coach/Job Developer. During this interview you will have an opportunity to discuss your specific needs, or fears (if any) or the expectations you may have about the program.
*Important information about the math test – please do not let anxiety over the math test stop you from considering applying to this program. We have learned that many of our candidates have been out of school for a while and benefit from an academic refresher. To meet this need, we have incorporated two weeks of numeracy/math and English comprehension upgrading as part of the curriculum. The upgrading has proven to be sufficient for all previous participants in this program. Should the numeracy/math requirements cause you anxiety, please talk to the Job Coach/Job Developer and she will help assess your needs.