This program has been postponed from an April 2, 2020 planned start date, due to the COVID-19 epidemic. The program may be re-scheduled, once social distancing precautions are no longer deemed necessary.
This course meets CAPR’s requirements to understand the knowledge of the practice of physiotherapy within the Canadian health care system. Read more about CAPR’s requirements here. Physical therapy in Canada is carefully regulated.
The goal of this online course is to provide internationally educated physiotherapists with an understanding of the Canadian healthcare system, culture and context for practice. Learners are exposed to a diverse range of topics including cultural competence, the role of the federal and provincial governments, acts and regulations guiding PT practice and client-centred care in a variety of PT roles and settings
- Each weekly module is facilitated by a practicing Canadian physiotherapist. Your facilitator will be available to answer your questions and give insight into the Canadian healthcare system.
- The online platform used for the course is available at all times of the day. You can choose the time that works for you to complete your assignments.
- A discussion board is available for learners to interact with each other and their instructors. It’s a great way to build your network and talk with practicing Canadian physiotherapists.
- All learners will have access to the University of Toronto Online Resources. This resource can be accessed to continue your learning outside of the course
- Canadian Cultural Skills and Roles of the Canadian Physical Therapist
- Client-centred Care
- The Role of the Federal and Provincial Government in Health Care
- Regulations and Scope of Practice
- The Continuum of Care: Where Physiotherapists Work
- Teams and the use of Support Personnel
This course is available to physiotherapists educated outside of Canada that want to practice here. Applicants will need to meet the language, and technical requirements.
- Program Start Date – April 2, 2020
- Program End Date – May 13, 2020
- Application Deadline – March 27, 2020
OIEPB is offered through a partnership with the University of Toronto, Department of Physical Therapy and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.