The Ultrasound Scanning Evaluation Bridging Program was formulated to provide an overview of the scanning protocols and procedures, as well as the core skills required for Sonography Canada’s `Canadian Clinical Skills Assessment’ (CCSA). This course will provide a general review of scanning techniques, protocols, and patient care skills.
In this comprehensive scanning evaluation program, students will gain valuable simulated sonography experience. The areas of sonographic scanning techniques that will be focused on in this course are the abdomen, thyroid, lower extremity veins of the upper leg, second-trimester obstetrical anatomy, female pelvic and transvaginal exam. There will also be a brief review of small parts which will include the thyroid and scrotum. Scanning labs will include patient identification, informed consent, patient safety, ergonomics, hand hygiene and professionalism. You will have many opportunities to practice the various imaging protocols in a simulated laboratory setting. Competency in performing the procedures will be evaluated every weekend. Weekly review of protocols, patient care, and procedures will be used to introduce the new topics, debrief the weekly scanning lab sessions and answer questions that arise from your lab experiences.
Program at a glance:
- Program Length: 1 Month (4 weekends)
- Delivery Method: Part time
- Start Date: April 4, 2020
- Tuition: $2,850
- Application Deadline: March 14, 2020
Michener’s Bridging Program for Ultrasound is designed to be delivered over 4 weekends. Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive The Michener Institute’s Certificate of Completion.
The Bridging Program for Ultrasound consists of one (1) course.
There will be 5 scanning evaluations. Evaluations will be conducted by certified sonographers and will include:
- Evaluations 1 – Abdomen
- Evaluations 2 – Gynecological – Pelvic, Transvaginal US
- Evaluation 3 – Lower Extremity Venous Doppler
- Evaluation 4 – Thyroid
- Evaluation 5 – 2nd Trimester Obstetrics Anatomical
In order to be successful in each area listed above, you must obtain a PASS in the evaluation process.
- Education and training equivalent to a Sonographer
- OR Prior Learning Assessment from CMRTO/Sonography Canada
- 2 Years of Sonography experience preferred or entry level sonography skills
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must provide proof of an English language assessment (valid within 2 years)(MELA/IELTS/TOEFL) if needed
Eligible students who are approved for OBPAP funding may receive between 70-90 percent (%) of the total cost of the tuition. See the description of the “Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program” in our post on this website on Training programs in various occupations.
*$750.00 fees for laboratory supplies is an out of pocket expense and is not covered by the OBPAP Bursary.